Thursday, January 1, 2015

Genealogy Do-Over Week 1

It's January 1, 2015. Happy New Year and Happy Birthday to my great grandmother who was born on January 1, 1848. I have chosen her as my focus person for the do-over. I know a great deal about Martha Jane McCollum and yet, many of the facts still allude me.

The do-over actually starts tomorrow with topics for the week:
1. Clean house
2. Prepare to research
3. Review the Golden Rules

I don't know what any of this means.

Clean house I can guess at and I've already spent several hours this morning working on cleaning up my photos. I've scanned about 3000 and although they are in good shape, there are some unnamed and duplicates out there. I also think cleaning house means I need to start a brand new tree. I am going to use RootsMagic. I deleted the other tree so it's empty except for me and some records that I added with sources cited.

I hope prepare to research doesn't means I have to scan the other three or four thousand pictures still out there. I can't wait to see what preparing to research really means but I know it's something I need to do.

I'm interested in learning the Golden Rules. I sure I have broken most of them so it will be nice to have a set of rules to adhere to.

Week one will also be interesting because I am making a trek to the San Francisco area next week for a family gathering. In one of my other posts, I wrote about my uncle who passed away in November. The family is getting together to do a memorial, very low key, just family and a few of his friends. I have gathered newspaper articles from the Billings Gazette to take with me so I can share his life in the eyes of the newspaper. Sad event but I am looking forward to be a part of the celebration of his life.

I am wishing today away because I am exited to begin the Do-Over tomorrow. I plan to post once a week to share what I have learned. The best part of this is the amount of information I have picked up from the other Do-Over folks. I read everything that was posted and feel privileged to be in such good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment